Field Trips & Group Outings
Read/Write Library is a unique destination for Chicago area students, organizations, tours and (just starting!) companies interested in getting deeper exposure to culture of the city. Through our collection of over 6,000 Chicago-specific publications, visitors from elementary school kids through adults are able to see their experience reflected and get hands-on with media created by people who come from their same neighborhoods, backgrounds, and generations (yes, even the elementary school kids) and connect with the stories and experiences of their neighbors. Our space is also wheelchair accessible, with accessible and gender neutral restrooms.
How Do Field Trips Work?
Because our collection is so varied, we can customize which publications we feature for your group based on your audience's age, educational background, interests, and what topic you're discussing in class, meetups or in the breakroom. Poetry? Social justice? Photography? Food deserts? Transportation? A specific neighborhood? We've got you covered, all from a local perspective to help your group not just delve into the subject, but understand it from new points of view.
Below are just a few of the diverse groups who've visited Read/Write Library for field trips or outings.
- UIC, FAST Learning and Support Services (Adult Literacy)
- MCA (Museum of Contemporary Art), Teen Creative Agency (Young Adult Arts Education and Engagement)
- The Center for Neighborhood Technology (Employee Engagement)
- Durham University UK, Human Geography Program (40 Undergraduates for an 8-Hour Supported Research Day)
- Garfield Park/Humboldt Park Girl Scouts (Ages 6-12)
- 826CHI Students (Elementary School Literacy)
- Oak Park Education Foundation, BASE Camp (Publishing for Middle School Girls)
- SAIC (School of the Art Institute of Chicago) Social Practice, Community Engaged Art, and Professional Practices Classes
- DePaul University, Freshman Immersion Programs and Literary Magazine Classes
- UIC, MUSE Museum Studies Program
- Active Transportation Alliance (Employee Day of Service)
Field Trip Inquiries
To learn about bringing your group to Read/Write Library, email us at [email protected] with your requested dates and anything you'd like us to know about your audience. Field trip cost is on a sliding scale depending on the resources of your institution or organization.
If you or your company would like to help subsidize field trip costs for under-resourced groups, please consider donating or get in touch to learn about field trip sponsorship opportunities.