Great Lakes Naval Training Station
"Great Lakes Naval Training Station was authorized as a "training ship on land" in 1904. The base opened on July 1, 1911, and the first class of 300 U.S. sailors graduated four months later, in a grand ceremony attended by Pres. William H. Taft as guest of honor. It has since sent to the fleet over over four million sailors, serving the nation through all the conflicts of the 20th century. Today Great Lakes is the sole remaining navy boot camp in the United States. Anchored by the stately Building One, the entire 43-building complex was designated as Great Lakes Naval Training Station on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. This book, with over 200 vintage images, explores its colorful and important history."
Book, Gonzales, Therese
Abstract taken from from back cover.
Chicago Publishers Gallery